Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bread

My mom always made bread growing up. We hardly ever had store bought bread. I wish I could say the same about my family. I go in spurts where I make a lot of bread, but for the most part we buy our bread, so it is definitely a treat when I make it. This bread recipe is really good. It is one of my moms that she has used for a long time.


Bread

Raise:
2 T. yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1 c. warm water

Combine in a mixing bowl:
1/2 cup butter (1 cube) cut up
6 c. warm water
1 c. sugar
1 c. potato flakes
3 T. salt
1 1/3 c. powdered milk

When yeast rises, add to mixture. Add 5 cups flour (white or whole wheat). Mix until blended. Add 10 more cups white flour. Stir by spoon. Let rest 5 minutes. Knead for 7 1/2 minutes. Then cover and let rise twice (to top of large Tupperware bowl). Put in greased pans and let rise about 1 hour. Bake 400 for 15 minutes and then turn to 350 and cook for 15-18 minutes.
Makes 6 loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment