Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Huckleberry Salad

My husbands family has this every Thanksgiving and it is the favorite of all the salads. Huckleberries are hard to find. I got lucky this year and had my wonderful cousin who lives in Montana bring me some huckleberries, so I could make this salad, but I usually have to wait until Thanksgiving to eat it. All I can say is this is delicious, and I wish I could get more huckleberries so I could have it more than once a year! 
 
Huckleberry Salad
2 pkgs. black cherry jello
1 envelope knox gelatin
1/2 c. cold water
1 c. whipping cream or canned cold milk
1 c. sugar
1 8oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts
huckleberries
Set 1 pkg. of jello in a 9x13 pan. Dissolve gelatin in water. Set aside. Heat cream and sugar in double boiler until dissolved and hot. Add cream cheese, gelatin, vanilla, and nuts. Mix well with beaters. Pour on top of set jello and set. Mix second pkg. of jello. Omit the second cup of cold water. Add huckleberries. Pour on top of cream cheese layer and let set.

No comments:

Post a Comment