Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rhubarb Muffins

When I was about 11, I had migrains a lot. I went to the doctor and they thought I might have a food allergy, so they wanted me to try a no milk diet for a few weeks. The next night, I had a sleep over at my friends house. They were so nice and made me some muffins the next morning that didn't have any milk in them. They did have rhubarb in them though. Rhubarb is one of those foods that a lot of people don't like. Luckily for me, we grew up eating rhubarb because my dad likes it, and I have always liked it. These muffins have been made a lot since then. Some people in my family don't really care for these but I think they are so yummy and look forward to making them every summer!
Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl. The nuts are optional, but I think they make these muffins great!

Chop your rhubarb. Mix the wet ingredients together with the rhubarb in a separate bowl.

When you get to mixing the two bowls together, it is important to not over mix. The recipe says 6 times only. While I find that a little hard to do, I am very careful to not mix too much. It is okay to not have it mixed perfectly. I usually have a little flour not completely mixed in.

Drop the mix into muffin tins. The dough is kind of thick.






Rhubarb Pecan Muffins

2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. chopped pecans
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.

In another bowl, mix:
1 egg
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. grated orange peel (opt)
3/4 c. orange juice
1 1/2 c. chopped rhubarb

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. In another bowl, mix liquid and rhubarb. Stir dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Mix 6 times only. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment